Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Woman of the Week: Farnaz Seifi

Farnaz Seifi

I was drawn to Farnaz Seifi's story because much like me, she is a blogger. However, while my blog serves as a form of advocacy, her blog is a form of resistance. Seifi formally lived in Iran before fleeing the country in 2007. Her blog, "Amshaspandan", that advocated for women's rights in Iranian society was shut down by the government shortly after it began. Her progressive ideas were met with death threats and harassment. Despite the government's opposition, Seifi managed to create an online magazine that addressed issues regarding women in Iran. She refused to stunt the magazine's production against government orders ultimately leading to her arrest and later fleeing of the country.

Farnaz Seifi has since worked in Holland on the "Deutsche Welle Persian" program as a producer as well as in Paris with "Reporters Without Borders". She continues to blog anonymously in order to protect her family still living in Iran.

I find it amazing that after threat upon threat, after being forced to flee her home country, Seifi still persists in fighting for women's rights. She has never faltered in what she believes in.

Blogging for me is easy. I'm not worried that the government is going to show up at my door, kidnap me and throw me in jail. I am pretty sure the government would give me a thumbs up for effort and go on with their day. Reading a story like Seifi's makes me realize how lucky I am to be able to write what I feel and become an agent for change in a democratic country. Seifi is risking everything to blog and expose the injustices of women in her country. She is the epitome of brave and serves as an inspirational leader paving the way towards change.


No comments:

Post a Comment